Living in a small space has been great so far! I do have to admit that one of the largest drawbacks is the lack of a real kitchen. The setup I have is a kitchenette: two-burner hotplate, fridge, french press, a retro panini press and a grill. As someone who grew up experimenting with baking and cooking elaborate meals, the lack of an oven has proved to be an interesting challenge for no kitchen cooking. (The other day I made pumpkin pie on the grill — because, hey, it’s fall!)
I turned 23 last month and my husband turned 24 — my new in-laws gave me a crockpot and him a tool set (*cue gender roles joke*). All kidding aside, it has been a killer tool in low-key meal prep. Literally just have to collect ingredients and throw them in for a handful of hours. This recipe was adapted from Skinny Taste’s recipe: Turkey Chili Taco Soup. They didn’t use a Crock Pot, but I find that almost any recipe is adaptable with a little bit of experimentation.
Note: I don’t know about you lovelies,but when I’m recipe-hunting and find a winner, taking a screenshot of the ingredients for grocery shopping is my go-to. Above image is sized so you all can do the same if you’d like (:
- Taco seasoning (half a 1.5 oz packet)
- 1 sm. can of diced green chilies
- 1 8-oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 med. onion
- 1 med. bell pepper (any color)
- 1-2 lbs of chicken breast
- Chop and dice bell pepper and onion. Add to crock pot.
- Add everything else and stir. Chicken should be completely submerged.
- Cook for 4 hours on high. Stir occasionally if you’d like.
- Remove chicken and shred. Re-add, stir, then serve.
It tastes great by itself but feel free to add additional toppings:
- Plain yogurt.
- Sour cream.
- Tortilla chips or tortillas.
Now it’s your turn: I’m always looking for more killer crock pot recipes. I’d love to know your faves — add links in the comments below, please!